Saturday, June 20, 2009

So Aparently Third Time Can be a Charm & 2nd Beta

A few months back I really struggled with the prospect of another IUI instead of going straight to IVF. But, this decision making chart and writing out this blog post really seemed to help. I learned that by going with a third IUI with injectibles, my odds were between 30-40%. Sure IVF is better, but this was not shabby. Worth giving it a shot with the lesser risk. And at least no matter what happens at least I know that this did work for me.

I say this to give hope not just to me for the future but any one of the thousands of people who have had to walk a mile in these shoes.

My second beta came back so good that they felt there was no need for a third.



Can we all just give this a little hip-hip-hooray? The ultrasound is scheduled for July 3rd. I'll be 6w1d.

And I've all of a sudden become very blog shy. It has taken me yesterday and today just to post my updates. I've been so worried that one might be considering me a gloat.

Infertility is a sorority of sorts that is most painful. It's painful to see others go through such heartbreak and tragedy. I have cried over strangers whom I've never met. But, their story touched me so and I felt as though I have known them for years. I've connected with people that I now wonder if I could ever cope without their friendship. Some of these connections are just as strong or stronger than the ones I have with friends I see in real life.

It's painful to see the person in the same boat cycle after cycle end up right back where we started. We become so invested in these lives of others. I've become so invested in the lives of those in this community. It sounds so trite to say that I feel their pain. But, I do. I do because I've shared it. For eight years I've shared it.

Then when a miracle happens there's even more pain. This time it's an odd mix of happiness, hopefulness, and sadness. Happy that they have finally reached their dream, hopefull that you may not be that far behind and sadness of a reminder that you're not there yet. I've been there. I have followed ladies who get their miracle and I am elated. At the same time I get a little more sad. The positive HPT's, the sonogram photos, the nursery preparation, etc. I just want anyone who feels this way to know that no matter what, I support you. I used to take our mental health for granted and never gave it much thought to have to stamp "Fragile" across it. But, now I understand. If I don't see you for a while, I'll understand. Hopefully one day soon you'll be here to and you'll remember to knock on my bloghouse door and come in for a visit.

Meanwhile, if you are sticking around. God bless you. I need all the help I can get.

Before I started my blog, I read tons of others. Many of them were before I found the Stirrup Queens blogroll so by the time I got to them they had long since been abandoned. It was kind of sad. Like walking into a home with no residents yet evidence of them once living there. I was able to read the walls and learn more about what I may be going through. A map of sorts revealed. And then when I saw that they finally reached the 'X' that marked the spot on this map, their existence vanished. And I hated this.

So, I'm going to try my best to be respectful of the ones that I have inexplicably become separated by a transfer to a boat off the island. I plan on keeping photos off the blog with links. So, for those that want to view them you can but you won't have google reader mini bombs that give you a heart attack. Yet at the same time I want to keep blazing that map for the benefit of anyone who finds me. I also want to document everything for my own benefit and those of my future children. Which may mean I loose people.

Nishkanu had a post once where she covered this topic. She described all of us infertiles being marooned on an island. And how she was able to make a raft that finally let her over the breakers, for the open ocean. Yet she can't help but look back to those on the island. And my comment to her was that I have never felt the need to leave her blog because she has been so worthwhile to continue reading. The posts were more than blurbs of progress. I felt that as she was on that raft yet still cheering us on who were on the beach and throwing out a tow line in the hopes that another makes it. Plus she left all her tools so I would make a sea worthy raft in no time.

May I be talented enough that you find this blog equally worthy.

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations on an AWESOME beta. Can't wait to see the baby(ies??).

    I appreciate your consideration of those of us waiting for our own good news. It's a little different for me, seeing as this is secondary infertility (I struggled with primary as well), but nevertheless, I hope you continue to blog about your experiences with pregnancy and motherhood. I think many of us IFers feel that we can't complain about pregnancy symptoms or sleepless nights with a newborn... but my opinion is that we were already cheated out of a "normal" conception, we shouldn't cheat ourselves over the normal reactions to carrying and caring for a child -- good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a great second beta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for your beautiful beta,
    and gosh,
    I'll be stopping by. I think it is really important to feel supported in this part too--
    for me, this is about several things, being able to spill it out and knowing I'll be understood, having direct support (through amazing comments folks leave on my blog), being able to offer support to those folks whose blogs I read no matter where they are on their journey, and then, of course, there is also the joy of vicarious living, the joy in your joy.

    Continued good wishes to you,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hip-Hip-Hooray for that awesome number!!

    I, for one, will not stop reading. I read IFer blogs to lend support, all the while sincerely wishing and hoping that goals are achieved. Sure I am sad that my day hasn't come but it makes me feel good to share in the happiness and excitement of others in similar situations.

    I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you hesitate for one second to be beyond gleeful! It is very encouraging for people like me who are still going through the process to see people like you who have faced the mountain and conquered it with such a wonderful spirit. You have a terrific attitude and I couldn't be more happy for you. I'll definitely keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful number that is! Oh I am so happy for you and Marvy! Is it even possible to respect you more?! You have such a big heart and I am so honored to know you and be able to cheer you on or pick you up, if needed. And to have you do the same is so special. Please be happy and rejoice in your pregnancy. It's so special and you shouldn't be robbed of it.
    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa! This did load after all!

    Congratulations for the fantastic beta! And all the very very best for the ultrasound.

    I totally hear you on becoming 'blog shy'...you have perhaps worded my emotions in a very eloquent way. I had also felt 'blog shy' about a fortnight ago...though my reasons were completely different.

    IF is painful...but if we can't cheer for you, there is no joy in crossing over anyways.... I love your blog...and even though you are now on your path of crossing over, it does not make me cease reading your blog...I know it must be such a huge jumble of emotions for you! And I love that you are crossing over! So successfully!

    You raise my aspirations, Lulu! *ha ha ha, sorry, I know that is what you are called...I could not resist*

    Take Care, girl! Be Good and Be Happy, and if you have ice-cream today, think of me!

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on a great second beta!

    I think this is a wonderful post on a sensitive topic.

    I'm glad to here you had success with IUI...and your probability rate of 30-40%, as I have been considering this too. It's great to see a success story.

    ICLW.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATS!!! THAT IS A FANTASTIC BETA!!!

    And enjoy this! I'll still be reading. Your story gives me hope. It can happen!!!

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats!!! We're hoping our 3rd IVF is a charm next month and your post gives me hope :)

    www.prayingforourlittlemiracle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. great second beta my friend.
    so happy for you.

    i think that it's especially hard when you 'go through' something together and it doesn't work for the other person. my friend and i got pregnant around the same time. i had a miscarriage, she didn't. her baby shower is next month. it's going to kill me a little bit inside, but i will go and support her. conversely, my best friend is also pregnant and her pregnancy doesn't bother me at all. maybe because she was pregnant before i found out or because she also went through struggles with mcs and IVF before having her first daughter.
    none of this makes sense, but all we can do is try to be there for each other as best we can and understand that even a bfp for one means sadness for someone else. as long as we don't completely turn our backs on each other, i think we'll all get through this somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Liv, that is such phenomenal news! I am so very happy for you. I think it is very sweet of you to consider all of us still in the trenches (which I hope to leave very soon), but you have waited a long time for this and you deserve to celebrate!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would be so crushed if you stopped posting just when we all get to be so happy for you!! Although I certainly understand the bittersweetness of it all and had a difficult time with it myself.

    Congrats on a great 2nd beta!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! :) I am happy for you guys. Just stopping by from ICLW! Good luck with your u/s.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so very happy for you Liv! What a wonderful 2nd beta. I love how considerate of everyone you are being.

    ReplyDelete
  16. For such a petite women, you have an extra-large heart, Liv.

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so, so, so, happy for you!! Wonderful numbers, I read your letter to your hubby. I have tears in my eyes. Enjoy every second, when you can at least. Congratulations. I can't wait to follow you for the next 9!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so happy with your awesome number on the 2nd beta. I don't think you have the capacity in your heart to ever "gloat". ImPOSSible. Count me in for wanting to know the rest of the story. I want to be here for you when you are elated, scared, giddy, crazy, bloated, hungry, or just plain hopeful. I like to celebrate the good news most of all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! I'm so thrilled with your BFP and the sweet sweet way your DH told you. I don't think you can gloat when it's what we would all do if it were us in your shoes. So again, Congratulations!

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete