
I was super excited about our camping trip this weekend, as you all know it was my alternative to going to that Baby Shower for someone that I cared for yet, really didn't want to go to.
Recalling that this trip had been pre-arranged prior to this invitation and that I merely forgot felt like a Victory. Yet, in the end we lost to Mother Nature.
It actually began relatively well and we had a fabulous time on Saturday. Considering what I was trying to avoid, it's kind of funny too. Our camping buddies are our neighbors who have 4 children. The youngest are 14 month old twin girls. They are the cutest things. And I held at least almost at all times. I took them into the water with me with their baby boat, held them while they slept on my chest, feed them, etc. You would think that would have been worse for my infertility heart than a silly baby shower. But nope. I loved it. I can't explain why I was so content with this. I have no idea.
We had fajitas for dinner and then watched as it looked like a storm was coming. So we secured our tents, tied the canopy over to keep the rain out. It was so hot in the tent with all the windows up and so much humidity. But, we had a fan and it wasn't so bad.
Then came the lightning. Major lightning. I kept wondering if we should flee for the safety of our vehicle, but we stayed put and thanked God for the show and asked for protection. There were claps of thunder that were so loud I thought for sure it was right on top of us.
Then came the wind. We stood up and had our backs to the front of the tent. I kept my knees slightly bent for stability. Marvy and I held hands. There were points when I thought the wind was going to knock me down. It started to feel like a monsoon. I completely lost track of how long we were there holding up the tent. Eventually, one of the Park Rangers came to our tents and told us that there were three more storms coming and that there were reports of over 50 mph winds.
We all decided to abandon camp. I grabbed my backpack, and surveyed the rest of the tent to see if there was anything else we had to have. Marvy found his wallet and phone, but not the keys. I don't know at first that they were missing. "C'mon Babe we have to leave now!" I yelled over the roar of the wind and rain. He yelled back that he couldn't find them. I started praying we had to have those keys! After a few minutes I remembered where they were. I grabbed them, and the camp light and we ran in the pouring ran to our car. Marvy decided to go back for our bicycles since he was soaking wet anyway.
Our friends loaded up their kids and as much as they could grab and we all drove the hour and a half back home. When Marvy and I got out of the car we were both so sore! I don't know if it was the adrenaline, mixed with fear, mixed with fighting the wind. But, our muscles felt like we had run a marathon. The guys went back on Sunday to clean up and load up the stuff we left. Amazingly it was all still there. A bit muddy, but not lost.
Crazy, crazy weekend. I chickened out of a baby shower for a fight against Mother Nature and thank Heaven, we lost. But, I would do it again gladly!
*Thank you for all of your comments lately of support and cheers and being my Hope by Proxy. I have't had a chance to comment back to you yet, but I will!
Recalling that this trip had been pre-arranged prior to this invitation and that I merely forgot felt like a Victory. Yet, in the end we lost to Mother Nature.
It actually began relatively well and we had a fabulous time on Saturday. Considering what I was trying to avoid, it's kind of funny too. Our camping buddies are our neighbors who have 4 children. The youngest are 14 month old twin girls. They are the cutest things. And I held at least almost at all times. I took them into the water with me with their baby boat, held them while they slept on my chest, feed them, etc. You would think that would have been worse for my infertility heart than a silly baby shower. But nope. I loved it. I can't explain why I was so content with this. I have no idea.
We had fajitas for dinner and then watched as it looked like a storm was coming. So we secured our tents, tied the canopy over to keep the rain out. It was so hot in the tent with all the windows up and so much humidity. But, we had a fan and it wasn't so bad.
Then came the lightning. Major lightning. I kept wondering if we should flee for the safety of our vehicle, but we stayed put and thanked God for the show and asked for protection. There were claps of thunder that were so loud I thought for sure it was right on top of us.
Then came the wind. We stood up and had our backs to the front of the tent. I kept my knees slightly bent for stability. Marvy and I held hands. There were points when I thought the wind was going to knock me down. It started to feel like a monsoon. I completely lost track of how long we were there holding up the tent. Eventually, one of the Park Rangers came to our tents and told us that there were three more storms coming and that there were reports of over 50 mph winds.
We all decided to abandon camp. I grabbed my backpack, and surveyed the rest of the tent to see if there was anything else we had to have. Marvy found his wallet and phone, but not the keys. I don't know at first that they were missing. "C'mon Babe we have to leave now!" I yelled over the roar of the wind and rain. He yelled back that he couldn't find them. I started praying we had to have those keys! After a few minutes I remembered where they were. I grabbed them, and the camp light and we ran in the pouring ran to our car. Marvy decided to go back for our bicycles since he was soaking wet anyway.
Our friends loaded up their kids and as much as they could grab and we all drove the hour and a half back home. When Marvy and I got out of the car we were both so sore! I don't know if it was the adrenaline, mixed with fear, mixed with fighting the wind. But, our muscles felt like we had run a marathon. The guys went back on Sunday to clean up and load up the stuff we left. Amazingly it was all still there. A bit muddy, but not lost.
Crazy, crazy weekend. I chickened out of a baby shower for a fight against Mother Nature and thank Heaven, we lost. But, I would do it again gladly!
*Thank you for all of your comments lately of support and cheers and being my Hope by Proxy. I have't had a chance to comment back to you yet, but I will!


I bet you had fun with the children because it was in your terms. You didn't feel "pressured" to have a good time. You were having a good time and therefore you were able to enjoy yourself with the children. I'm glad you had a nice time with your friends and Marvy. MORE glad ya'll got out of there safely. Hope you and Marvy are feeling less sore today.
ReplyDelete*HUGS*
Beautiful mess is right. When I have my head screwed on straight, it is more a preview of what I hope to do myself everyday some day. Your camping sounds exciting. It will surely be a story you can tell for many years to come!
ReplyDeleteWow, what a trip!!! I'm glad you had fun with the kiddos. :) I worked up all kinds of angst about seeing a friend of mine here in town who had triplets about 4 months before I lost our boys. I knew I should see her, we e-mailed back and forth and then one day, out of the blue, we ran into one another at a gas station! And there were her three gorgeous, gurgling, healthy and beatiful triplets (two boys and a girl). I surprised myself too by being totally okay--I gurgled and gooed and interacted with them and admired them, and it was all fine. I think I realized right away that I could enjoy her babies because they weren't MINE. My sadness is wrapped up in missing MY BOYS, and it doesn't mean I can't enjoy someone else's beautiful kiddos. I'm glad you've found the same. (And that you got to skip out on the shower!) ;)
ReplyDeleteOk, I know there is a metaphor in there about not being able to beat Mother Nature, but let's not go there just yet...
ReplyDeleteWhat an adventure! Even though the end sounded pretty miserable it seems like you enjoyed yourself. :)
ReplyDelete(Also, just read your comment on my blog. Thank you so much! You have so much more of a reason to POAS than I do, I know you GET it and I so appreciate the "I'm-not-alone" feeling.)
I'm still here in hopeville for you! It's beautiful here - all cozy and warm with little fluffy clouds floating across a clear blue sky...
What a trip! Glad you enjoyed your time away despite the heroic battle. Good Luck with the beta.
ReplyDelete:o)
Wow...what a trip. Definitely one for the memory books. And, I think Beautiful Mess hit the nail ont he head.
ReplyDelete