Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hopeless Romantic - Marvy's Post

Guest Post! I bring you my dearest love, Mr. Marvelous aka Marvy.
-Liv

The people have asked for Marvelous to speak and because I am a man of the people here I am. First of all, I highly recommend doing the "let your husband tell you that you are pregnant" thing. It was a thrill for me to do this and it meant a lot to Liv. Second, while you may be inclined to think that I must be the most romantic guy in the world, you would be wrong. True, telling Liv she was pregnant in the manner that I did was -off the hook- in the romance department, however you should know I had a lot of making up to do.

Before Liv and I were dating there was a young man who was pursuing my soon to be bride. Since we are making up names here we shall call him Fabio. Fabio would write poetry, love letters, write songs and play guitar to Liv. He would talk about her stealing his heart and that she was the only one for him. Being that he was a Latin guy and English was not his first language, so of course he had one of those fabulous accents. He also had long wavy hair and played in a band. Fabio was a romantic that could steal any young girl's heart.

And Marvelous? Well, he was not. As a romantic, he was hopeless. Since Liv and I were such good friends I did not want to jeopardize our friendship with some stupid crap like, "I love you, I cannot live without you, and I will die if you do not love me too". I would do anything for love...but I would not do that. While all of this was true, I feared that once you cross that line you cannot go back, much like if a Jedi starts down the dark path forever will it dominate his destiny.

No, I went for the subtle approach, my words went "Um, it is possible that I might kind of like you more than a friend but not really." Again, I must stress, this was the girl I was confident that I was going to marry and I am telling her that I love her for the first time.

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is extremely romantic and 1 is you stink, I give myself a 2. However fear not! Because when it came to our wedding proposal I would knock it out of the park! That is by knocking it out of the park you mean a 3.

Again, in my defense, Liv and I had been talking about marriage from a month into our dating relationship. I had given her a promise ring (Latin thing) and we had been contemplating the timing for years. After my best friend Barney Rubble married his wife Betty, Liv and I felt like we needed to start planning our wedding soon. So, on our flight back from Bedrock we decided when the wedding should be, it wa like a business transaction. On this plane ride we changed from a young dating couple to engage adults, all with coffee, tea or milk.

I did not even do anything cool like stand up and make an announcement to all of my fellow passangers. Maybe a 3 is being too nice. Upon further review I give myself a 1. So you see my fellow bloggers, with two of the biggest moments in Liv's life I, Mr. Marvelous really failed. So I had no choice but to do this one well, failure was not an option.

7 comments:

  1. Well, not only did you do this moment well, you truly hit it out of the park. The way you told Liv about the pregnancy proves why you are her Mr. Marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL It's so nice to "hear" your voice, Marvy! Yes, you telling Liv that she was pregnant was incredibly romantic and certainly one for the books. But don't be so hard on yourself for the other things. Romance comes in many forms... my mom finds it incredibly romantic that my dad always fills her car's gas tank so she never has to (I don't even know if she knows how).

    Oh, and speaking of early courtship... not only did *I* ask him my husband out on a first date, but he actually stood me up. (Although he has a different story. Clearly he's wrong.)

    But enough about me... SUPER congratulations and I can't wait to follow your journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it doesn't matter how you rate of the "romantic" scale, CLEARLY she's head over heels in love with you! That's all that matters, ya know?! Mu hubby isn't very romantic but when I was pregnant with Nae valentine's day rolled around and he gave me a WHOLE bag of Hershey's miniatures. The best gift EVER! It's not always about how BIG you do it, it's HOW you do it. Although, you did it pretty big this time! Good for you!
    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for a Marvy post! You hit it out of the park. I had my husband tell me, but the news was only tentatively good. I was so glad it was from him, the person I love most in the world rather than a nurse. You did good kid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhhhh finally the infamous Marvy!

    As for the romance part - I think you totally nailed it on this one so all the other stuff is totally wiped off the slate!

    Way to go and congrats dad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I think you've got yourself a pass for at least the next 3 mishaps.

    Thanks for having a guest post!! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a fantabulous job on this one, Marvy! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete