Saturday, March 14, 2009

Show & Tell: Grandma's Family Portrait



Welcome to my contribution to Show & Tell. When your done, be sure to check out the rest of the class!

This is a photo of my grandmother as a young mother with her family. The photo was taken around 1932. I find it so facinating to see a glimpse into my grandmother's life when she would have been closer to my age and not the age in which I knew her.
From the left to right:
My grandmother's paternal aunt, (in the hat) her father, (in the stripped blouse) her mother, the man standing behind is her brother, the girl in the middle is her sister, My grandmother is standing behind the woman in the hat (who I can't identify as well as the gentleman behind her), the kid with the high collared jacket is her cousin, the man holding the baby is her husband (my grandfather) and the baby is my aunt.
I know you guys don't know what my grandparents looked like but I'm sure you belive me when I say, "They look like kids!!".
How did this fragile looking young girl become the strong woman that I knew? How did she raise three kids during WWII during a time of rations? How was she able to handle being a mother while working odd typing jobs, cooking, getting food on the table, being a Girl Scout leader, canning, baking, tending a garden, all while supporting her husband through graduate school?
I know how. Because she kicked ass. That's how. Those are now the genes I am calling on to kick infertility's ass.

18 comments:

  1. You go, girl! I love those last lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful photograph, and quite the woman. She sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love finding inspiration in family photos. Lovely photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great picture to have!

    I, too, love your last lines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing picture! I love that your getting strength from the photo, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful that you have a photo of your family - that you can draw from it - that you are able to see your grandparents as young and strong and vibrant...I just love looking at old photos with real people and having someone tell the story that makes the photo come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful treasure that picture is. I love your closing lines!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeez! You real dig out treasures! It is a beautiful picture...the air of youth surrounds it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looooooove old family pictures! I think about how strong my grandmother must've been ,too. She had 5 kids to raise during WWII, and my mom said they were very poor. My mom said the first time she went a restaurant was when she was 12!

    I think you've got some good fighting genes there!

    Eve http://infertilityrocks.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great photo! My mom still has all the "old" photos like that...maybe I should see if I should try to get some of them for inspiriation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your grandmother sounds like a really amazing woman. You've got some good genes on your side to not only fight infertility, but to kick the holy crap out of it.

    I love old pictures like this. I think I might follow your lead and post something similar next week. I hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grandma does KICK! Love the old photo - those are always the best. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Um..what else is in that totally kick-ass basement? You have got some real goodies down there!!

    I really don't think that the previous generations (women) got enought credit for their ass-kicking ability!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are totally going to kick IF's ass, just like your Grandma would! :) Thanks for the cheers on my retrieval today.

    HUGS!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Inspiring words to go with a great photo. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a wonderful picture to have .. I love looking at old family photo's

    fighting talk too to you go girl!

    Ali xX

    ReplyDelete