
Marvy's birthday was in May and I asked him what he wanted for his 35th. In all seriousness he said...
I want a baby. I really do.
Apparently since he turned 35, he now *really* wants a baby. This doesn't mean that he didn't want one all along but rather he actually thinks and even daydreams about it. Shows on TV where pregnancy announcements take place now make him sad for a little bit. (Speaking of which...The Office...WTF!!! This used to be my go to show to get away from pregnancy/infertility stuff! UGH!) Where was I? Ah yes... Before he simply wanted it for me or because he looks forward to being a father one day.
But I think there is a difference between wanting to be a father and wishing for a baby when looking at parenthood from the male perspective.
I think recently...I have started to turn towards a better, brighter, less bitter, hopeful and not as depressed attitude. (at least I'm having more of those moments whereas before I had none!!!) Meanwhile Marvy has moved from his previous position of "It will happen when it happens...everything's going to work out...don't worry so much" to mine.
During our vacation, AF showed up the night before we were supposed to go to New Orleans. He was so disappointed. He thought that since it was now his birthday wish that he was going to get it. That somehow The Almighty and the whole universe would change our 1-2% odds, simply because it was now his sincere request and not my biological clock ticking.
Remember how I told you guys that we were visiting a very pregnant Mr. & Mrs. Rubble? Well, they had the baby this past Saturday. We logged onto face.book to view the pics. I saw the photos of mom, dad and baby and I didn't have those nasty butterflies in my stomach. I sincerely enjoyed seeing the photos.
Marvy was in that place that I normally am. You know the one - The "Yes, I'm happy for them...I know their fertility has nothing to do with my infertility...but I'm still so sad/depressed/want to pick up a kitty and snuggle and cry" place. Okay maybe he didn't want to snuggle and cry into a kitty. But it affected him.
And I did catch him with tears in his eyes.
Not right then...but later that day we went to Chip.otle for dinner. We ate our burrito bowls and guacamole outside on the patio and he was very quiet. We started talking about it and all of a sudden I was the motivator and he was the depressed one. "It's going to happen this month Marvy! I really think this IUI is it. And if it's not, then this will happen in just three months. We're almost there!"
It didn't change anything. He was still sad. He expressed his disappointment with our last non-treatment month before having to pull out the big ammo with injectibles and eventually the cannon with IVF. How the prospect of IVF scares the bejeesus out of him. He's anxious about how all the medications will effect me. I told him how it was sad, but at least it wasn't as sad as the heartbreaking BFN after Thanksgiving. He said, "I know, I don't like to think about that one at all. You had all those pregnancy symptoms. I really thought we were going to have a baby this summer." I looked at him and his eyes were red and welling up with tears. I said, "You look like you're about to cry". He lied and said that it was his allergies. Bollocks.
He said that seeing his friend hold his newborn actually gave him the same butterflies in his stomach as I would tell him about whenever I saw something pregnancy/baby related that was hard. For the first time he knew what I was talking about.
I want a baby. I really do.
Apparently since he turned 35, he now *really* wants a baby. This doesn't mean that he didn't want one all along but rather he actually thinks and even daydreams about it. Shows on TV where pregnancy announcements take place now make him sad for a little bit. (Speaking of which...The Office...WTF!!! This used to be my go to show to get away from pregnancy/infertility stuff! UGH!) Where was I? Ah yes... Before he simply wanted it for me or because he looks forward to being a father one day.
But I think there is a difference between wanting to be a father and wishing for a baby when looking at parenthood from the male perspective.
I think recently...I have started to turn towards a better, brighter, less bitter, hopeful and not as depressed attitude. (at least I'm having more of those moments whereas before I had none!!!) Meanwhile Marvy has moved from his previous position of "It will happen when it happens...everything's going to work out...don't worry so much" to mine.
During our vacation, AF showed up the night before we were supposed to go to New Orleans. He was so disappointed. He thought that since it was now his birthday wish that he was going to get it. That somehow The Almighty and the whole universe would change our 1-2% odds, simply because it was now his sincere request and not my biological clock ticking.
Remember how I told you guys that we were visiting a very pregnant Mr. & Mrs. Rubble? Well, they had the baby this past Saturday. We logged onto face.book to view the pics. I saw the photos of mom, dad and baby and I didn't have those nasty butterflies in my stomach. I sincerely enjoyed seeing the photos.
Marvy was in that place that I normally am. You know the one - The "Yes, I'm happy for them...I know their fertility has nothing to do with my infertility...but I'm still so sad/depressed/want to pick up a kitty and snuggle and cry" place. Okay maybe he didn't want to snuggle and cry into a kitty. But it affected him.
And I did catch him with tears in his eyes.
Not right then...but later that day we went to Chip.otle for dinner. We ate our burrito bowls and guacamole outside on the patio and he was very quiet. We started talking about it and all of a sudden I was the motivator and he was the depressed one. "It's going to happen this month Marvy! I really think this IUI is it. And if it's not, then this will happen in just three months. We're almost there!"
It didn't change anything. He was still sad. He expressed his disappointment with our last non-treatment month before having to pull out the big ammo with injectibles and eventually the cannon with IVF. How the prospect of IVF scares the bejeesus out of him. He's anxious about how all the medications will effect me. I told him how it was sad, but at least it wasn't as sad as the heartbreaking BFN after Thanksgiving. He said, "I know, I don't like to think about that one at all. You had all those pregnancy symptoms. I really thought we were going to have a baby this summer." I looked at him and his eyes were red and welling up with tears. I said, "You look like you're about to cry". He lied and said that it was his allergies. Bollocks.
He said that seeing his friend hold his newborn actually gave him the same butterflies in his stomach as I would tell him about whenever I saw something pregnancy/baby related that was hard. For the first time he knew what I was talking about.
That's it!
Now listen here you beeyotch Infertility, (pardon my language) it's one thing to come land on my shoulders and pull that noose around my neck but it's quite another to mess with my spouse. He was perfectly content until now. That was a cheap shot. You should be forewarned, you have now met your match, and you're going down IF...
Now listen here you beeyotch Infertility, (pardon my language) it's one thing to come land on my shoulders and pull that noose around my neck but it's quite another to mess with my spouse. He was perfectly content until now. That was a cheap shot. You should be forewarned, you have now met your match, and you're going down IF...
You're going down.


You go, Liv. Get her. Knock the IF beeyotch out! I am right here in your corner rooting for you. :-)
ReplyDeleteHoping you defeat IF's sorry ezz!
ReplyDeleteAll the very best!
...Feeling sad for Marvy....
ReplyDeleteAww poor Marvy! I'm sorry you're hurting Marvy, I truly am! I k now that Liv is an amazing wife and will do what she can to make you feel better. I hope you get your birthday wish soon.
ReplyDeleteLiv, kick her a$$ big time! You can TOTALLY do it!
*HUGS*
P.S. I tagged your for a fun meme on my blog. Check it out if/when you have time ;o)
What is it about 35?! DH hit 35 last year, and suddenly the three to four years of plodding along, trying this and that and an IUI here and injectibles there became "We need to do IVF, now!" I think he got bitten by the fatherhood bug pretty badly that same year. He turns 36 in July (gulp). I really hope he doesn't have to go another year wishing and hoping! I'm cheering Marvy on in his birthday wish as well and hoping for the very best for you all this year.
ReplyDeletexxoo
Ok, that's it. Liv, if you need someone to tag team that lousy IF, you just tap out and I'm right here ready to go! I've got the gloves on and I'm ready for the fight! Nobody gets to do that to Marvelous Marvy like that! He's the best...
ReplyDeleteMy heart goes out to him and you both... and thanks for giving us a little insight to his side of things, too. :-)
((((hugs))))
Thats right you give her heck!! I know its so hard when the husband starts being affected. I hope it does not have to come to IVF but if it does I will be rooting for you!
ReplyDeleteMy dh will be 36 in October, and I know he's feeling 'father time' (pun intended) ticking away. Mine is as your's usually is: total optimist, looking on the bright side of IF. A few cycles ago when AF came late, I heard his voice crack when I called work to tell him. That broke my heart to see him sad like that.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry Marvy is sad, but maybe it's comforting to know how much he wants this little baby-to-be as well? I hope this cycle is it for you!!!! We're onto IVF in August as well. Maybe will see you there...but I'd be damn glad leave you off at BFP this month!
This post broke my heart for Marvy. I hope that you both are feeling better. I just started my first IVF this month and my husband was worried about the meds too, but so far so good (knock wood). Yesterday my husband gave me a hug after the my evening shots (both gonal-f & menopure) told me how brave I was. I don't feel that way, but dammit I'm going to march right to IF's door and kick it in! THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
ReplyDeleteAhh, I just love this post...Mook went through a lot of those same feelings-and it makes me think about all those moments I looked at him knowing he was hurting just as much as I was. And we STILL feel the pangs...
ReplyDeleteNew reader, first comment! :)
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for Marvy, I agree it is more heartbreaking to watch your husband's heart ache than handle your own. I hope this IUI is it for you guys.
And I am TOTALLY there with you on The Office! This is our second battle with IF... the first battle coincided with Turk and Karla getting preggers. Curses on fertile made-up characters.
(Turk and Karla on "Scrubs" of course. I guess I can't assume everyone's DVR looks exactly like mine.) :)
ReplyDelete