Friday, February 20, 2009

Are You Fracking Kidding Me?


Okay, first I have to apologize for my absence. I was abducted by aliens. They took me up in their space ship and performed weird tests on me. If I end up pregnant this cycle we might have to wonder who the father is...

No, not really. I'm still just a waiting, in this 2ww. Nothing much to report there. This week has been pretty heavy at work. Although I don't deal with people's taxes in my line of work, my job gets really busy this time of the year because of tax season. Then I had a lovely bout of a minor chest cold. All good reasons to ignore the laptop and go straight to bed upon arrival from work.


But! I did go to the Opera this week. I have a dearie friend of mine who's husband gifted her tickets to "The most romantic love story of all time", as the pamphlet stated. Only problem was her hubby really did not want to go to the Opera, so she took me instead! It was quite lovely. We met a gentleman at dinner who was so cute. He had to have been at least 80 and there by himself. He spoke about his wife as if she had just recently passed away. He was still wearing his wedding ring. Later we learned that she's been gone over seventeen years! It was so sweet to see how even after all this time he was very much still in love with her. So much so that he was there to watch "the greatest love story of all time" by himself.


Okay, now to the reason why I titled this post, "Are You Fracking Kidding Me?"


Nerd alert. I watch Battle.star Galla.ctica. I highly doubt I have any BSG brethern in this community, but if I do, "Holla!". And you'll probably know what I'm talking about. BSG is the only show I'll watch on Sci.Fi. Hey, I do have my standards. The show (the current version) is in it's fourth and final season. It's about a group of humans who have had to flee Earth because it was obliterated by the Cy.lons. Cy.lons are machines, but some of them look like humans. As many of you all can certainly understand there are many times that I watch something on TV with the intended purpose of getting away from it all. Including infertility.
Then why oh, why did they have to write into the show the three things I was turning to Sci.Fi to get away from? Pregnancy, Infertility, and Miscarraige?
Yes, you read that right. All three topics were there tonight!


I'll give you the low down. The Cy.lons have been trying to reproduce and have never yet been successful with producing a cy.lon child. One of them, Ellen, is considered the original model and she and her husband have been trying unsuccessfuly to have a baby for thousands of years. (No, really, that was actually the line) Ellen had died and he moved on. He hooked up with one of the other human looking Cy.lons and she's now pregnant. But then Ellen came back. She then becomes face to face with the other cy.lon who is pregnant with her husband's baby. She tells her how much they've struggled. You can see it in her face. "We didn't have male factor infertility!!! It must have been me!"


For weeks they have been showing the pregnant Cy.lon and even going as far as showing the ultrasounds! She's four months along and she starts showing signs of miscarraige. The stress with Ellen doesn't help and she screams as the doctor tells her it's over. The baby is on the ultrasound screen as she cries.


Now that I read this, I have to say that it sounds more like a soap then science fiction. (I never watch them because I thought the story lines were so ridiculous. Ha, ha, this isn't much better, huh?) It's funny because the show is designed to appeal to men. Not exactly, daytime tv watchers.


Anyway, Marvy and I laughed when I said that even in BSG I can't get away from it all.

2 comments:

  1. Awwww, dammit! I don't watch that show, but I could see how it would be an escape. Glad your back and I hope your cold is gone.
    HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a crazy show! I am hope this is your month girl!

    ReplyDelete