Saturday, February 21, 2009

Show and Tell: Grandma's China Hutch



Welcome to Show & Tell. Don't forget to check out the rest of the class!




When Grandma passed away my family gave me permission to take back with me her china hutch and buffet table. Seeing as how as I am a modern woman, utilizing this cabinet for china is not really so practical. And knowing my grandmother as a very practical woman, I figured it would still be appropriate to utilize it to hold her some of her photos and momentos.




The small wooden box on top of the hutch holds her silverware. It is engraved with the monogram letter of my maiden name. I remember when I lived with grandma for a couple months in 1998 she told me that she wanted me to have the silverware, but then remembered that my last name will change one day, so perhaps she should give it to my brother instead.



What??? I was not too pleased with that! So, needless to say I was armed with even more reason to drop my middle name and replace it with my maiden name when I married. Ha! Brother can't take it now huh? :o)



Here is the repurposed cabinet now.





The boxes on the top row contain regular 35 mm film photos from 1980's - 1990's. The black and white boxes contain momentos of letters, post cards, a hymnal, doilies, most of which are from the early 1900's.




The metal boxes on the lower left row are 35 mm slides.



This is not a complete representation of my inherited photo collection, as I have boxes full in one of the spare bedroom closets. The project of scanning is a big one but, when you run into some of the lovely treasures as I have it makes it all worth it. Here is an example of one of the 35 mm slides, scanned and with very minor touch ups. Guess who!

16 comments:

  1. A baby you?

    What an amazing thing to have. Can you identify all the people in the photos, or did your Grandmum write on the back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family has done something similar. My father made sure to get a hold of all the hardcopies and even slides from his father and mother. We have uncovered some beautiful and priceless photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful hutch. Your so sweet, all sleeping away! Funny, you and I posted something similar this week ;o) Thank you so much for sharing a piece of your lovely grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man I wish she and the other original owners of the photos had provided more information on the photos. I'm having to come up with some major investigating skills to place them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a collection! That's some undertaking- good luck! I love the photo of your as a baby. So very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is amazing. I wish I had more photos from my family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic collection, and a lovely way to store it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great way to repurpose the cabinet. And I love that you are scanning in all the old pics. My sis and I are embarking on just such a project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful way to preserve family memories. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so jealous of your organizational skills with all these wonderful pictures! Wanna come to my house and help a girl out?

    ICLW!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so amazing! I'm jealous that you have all these mementos and pictures to cherish...Wonderful job preserving your families memories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pieces are gorgeous! And I love the photo collection. I think my mom has something like that stashed away... ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow what an amazing gift to have. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ingenious way to make use of the china cabinet.

    What a cutie you were!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, even Martha S. would be proud of that cabinet! O, how impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! It all looks so organized...And is that you? You are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete