Sunday, July 5, 2009

Operation "Tell The Parents" - Success


Of course with news like this how could it not have been a success right? It was sweet, sweet 4th of July goodie, goodness. Successful indeed.

The first pre-requisite in order to tell the parents was that ultrasound on Friday, and thank you dear internets for all of your well wishes, prayers and crossing of everything...we have spotted a measurable frijole! (For those of you not from the Southwest or who don't speak Spanish - I should explain it means bean) The frijole was right were it should be. Still too early for a heartbeat flicker, she only saw the fetal pole. They want me to go back next week for another ultrasound. Hopefully at 7 weeks 1 day there will be something more to see.

I would appreciate everyone's continued good thoughts and prayers as I most certainly don't feel out of the woods yet. Thank you!!!

Straight from the RE, we drove down to see Marvy's parents. They met us at the George Bush Sr Presidential Library. Of course they had no idea why we were coming and frankly we are museum kind of people so this is pretty typical for my family. That kind of threw in wrench in my plans as I was thinking we could tell them immediately and not keep up the pharse. But, didn't work out that way. So, we waited until we got home. And it was so much fun!

We had a lot of things we did in preparation of the telling. Marvy was the first to help by calling his mother ahead of time and telling her something to throw her off. He warned her ahead of time that since I have been talking fertility drugs, they have the side effect of making you look like you are pregnant when you aren't. So, my MIL told my FIL also to not expect that this visit was going to have anything to do with us being pregnant. They were very much in the dark.

The night before I prepared ahead of time a mini photo album. The first page said, "Grandma's Baby Brag Book". Then I put the ultrasound photo in the back of the album with a cute "Baby On Board" sticker. (just the words not those car decorations) I found a little bib that said, "World's Best Grandpa" and a onzie that said, "What Happens at Grandma's Stay's at Grandma's". Then Marvy got out the father's day card he picked up the day he found out we were pregnant that said, "For Grandpa".

Now, they are about to be grandparents in about two weeks when my SIL gives birth to her daughter. So, the first item to be opened was the card and Dad immediately got excited when he saw that it read 'Grandpa'. But, I immediately said, "Well, yeah your about to be a grandpa in two weeks." He let out a meak, "Oh". You could tell the wind was let out of his sails for a moment.

Meanwhile, Mom opened the onzie and thought it was cute...not suspecting a thing. Then Dad opened the Bib, and he held it and thought it was so neat. He really liked it. Mom then got to the photo album. I decorated the cover and inside the first page I wrote, "Grandma's Baby Brag Book". She immediately thought how perfect that will be and got real excited about it. She got up and walked to the otherside of the living room to show Dad - which was perfect. By this time I told Dad to go ahead and check out what was at the bottom of the gift bag.

As Mom is still checking out the photo album, he pulls out a positive pee stick. I knew he wouldn't know what it was a first, so he is staring at it reading the words, "Pregnant/Not Pregnant" but he still couldn't figure it out. He looks at me and his eyes were as wide a saucers. Mom, was not looking at him she's still enjoying looking at this ready made album for her. I made her then go all the way to the back, where it had the ultrasound photo. Poor Dad, still has the deer in headlights look when Mom says, "Oh, so did you get one of the ultrasound picture from C?"

I said, "No, this one is dated today." Then Dad blurted out, "Are you pregnant?"

"Yes! I am!"

Mom couldn't believe it. She had to ask half a dozen times if that was true. She started to cry. Dad was elated. We all got up and gave each other hugs.

Then Dad got back down in his chair and looked like he had just ran around the block. The up and down roller coaster ride wore him out. Mom then commented, "Well, that explains the boobs! When I saw you earlier today my first thought was, Whoa!" She said that on our way home from the museum she was talking to my SIL on the phone and she told her how HUGE my boobs were. She joked, "Wow, those drugs she's taking certainly are making her breasts look great!"

Once they calmed down a bit, we went ahead and called my mom.

"Hi Mommy! How are you?" I started.

She was excited to hear from me. I immediately started to ask her if she was home and if she was in her pajamas. She said she was but that no, she was just watching a movie at the house. Perfect. I asked if she could go to the front of the condo and allow me to talk to the guard real quick. I told her I had a favor of him to ask. We were very close with our guards at our house in Guatemala. They've known me since I was 15. They were always so nice and would do anything for us. They were even great about not telling my mom when Marvy and I were enjoying a little extra smooching in the car out side the gates, when I was 18.

My mom put Agusto on the phone. We greeted each other and he thought it was such a thrill to talk to me on the phone. I then asked the favor. "Would you please pass along to my mom this message? 'Felicitaciones Abuelita'" (Congratulations Grandma) He was confused, "You mean she doesn't know this? And you want ME to tell her?"

"Yes! Go ahead!" He said the message and then you hear my mother scream. Not once, not twice, but three times. She grabbed the phone and we told her it was true. She was on speakerphone and my in-laws were telling her that they too just found out and they we shocked. She was pretty cute. She said that just this week she had been shopping at the fabric store and found some perfect fabric to make baby pajamas and was wondering how long before she could do that. I gave her permission to go to town.

The next day we went to the house of Marvy's long time family friends. We revealed our surprise as we were about to hold hands to say Grace. They were all very happy to hear the news. And I was happy to not have to worry about hiding my belly anymore. It's crazy for being 6 weeks...I'm sure no one else can tell but me. But, I still think it's crazy looking.

So, that was the "Telling of the Parents". Next up: "Telling of Future Uncle", my little bro.

Hope you guys enjoyed a lovely, 4th of July weekend!

19 comments:

  1. Very cute! I know you must have been so excited to tell them. It sounds like it went perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Liv. That is just perfect! I am so happy for you! I have a big dorky grin on my face right now!

    And congrats on the great u/s, too! Can't wait for next week's heartbeat reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved hearing your awesome story of telling your parents of your incredible news. I love reading things that make me smile. What a perfect 4th of July weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet and fun! I love everybody's reactions! Glad you enjoyed telling your family and your friends. That makes me SO happy, hon!
    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...that sure was a memorable July 4th for your family! Smiles and Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so cool!! I love how you told everyone. I was pretty boring. I called my mom and told her, and after our 7 week ultrasound, we called my mother-in-law on her birthday and told her we were having twins. Heh, she nearly passed out with that one! What an awesome 4th of July. Keep growing little bean!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a truly awesome and memorable day. You guys did a fabulous job and I know that your families loved you even more for it. Thanks so much for sharing it with us too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, congrats Liv! Sounds like the unveiling went perfectly! Continued thoughts & prayers for the growth of your frijole. :)

    (I keep meaning to tell you, my husband is half Guatemalan! Unfortunately he hasn't seen or spoken to his Guatemalan mother since he was 8...long story, my guess is that she's probably bi-polar or otherwise mentally ill. But anyway, he lived in Guatemala for several years as young child and has very vivid memories of playing soccer in the streets and watching women making tortillas. We'd like to visit and try to find his family there some day.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome stories and what a special, memorable 4th of July you had! Fun, fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful ways to tell the parents and inlaws!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so sweet! Congratulations on telling the fam, it is such a fun memory never to be forgotten.

    I love the "boobs" comment from your MIL, it made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfection! You're always so creative! I love that you had to explain frijole! LOL on that!

    Huggs and kisses, Liv and a H&H 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the way you told both your parents. Brought tears to my eyes :)
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww...I love how you told them!! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is GREAT!! I know you loved getting to share that news!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so awesome. I am glad you had so much fun telling everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't be mad, I'm giving you an award. I can't help it, I'm just so excited for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! What awesome news!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. THE best. best, bestest telling ever! Hope all is going well, so so so super excited for you both!!!

    ReplyDelete