Just Babe "y"
Today also happens to be graduation day for me. I got to say my goodbyes and hugs at the RE's office. She gave me her notes and looked it over. Thought it was interesting at least.
"GESTATIONAL SAC
Chorionic Sac A
Sonographic Visualization: Sonographic visualization is adequate.
Sac size: Size of chorionic sac is appropriate for gestational age.
Appearance of sac: Chorionic sac appears normal.
Yolk Sac: A single yolk sac is identified.
Fetal Pole: A single fetal pole is identified.
Fetal pole size: Crown rump length (CRL) is appropriate for gestational age.
Cardiac activity: Fetal heart activity is identified.
Chorionic Sac B
Sonographic Visualization: Sonographic visualization is adequate.
Sac size: Size of chorionic sac is small for gestational age.
Yolk Sac: No yolk sac is identified. A fetal pole is not identified.
The previous week notes on 'B':
Sonographic Visualization: Sonographic visualization is adequate.
Sac size: Size of chorionic sac is small for gestational age.
Appearance of sac: Chorionic sac appears normal.
Yolk Sac: A single yolk sac is identified.
Fetal Pole: A single fetal pole is identified.
Fetal pole size: Crown rump length (CRL) is small for gestational age.
Cardiac activity: Fetal heart activity is identified. "
In the end this data plus the sonogram photos will be the only record that this baby ever existed. Well that plus this blog and the lovely well wishes you all have left.
It's just so strange. I don't know what to call it.
The doctor's notes refer to the whole thing as "vanishing twin". Although this is true. One week there was a heartbeat and in the next there was not. Eventually the baby will completely disappear, so it's hard to argue with that term. I just don't feel right referring to this experience as that. Too medical.
Yet I feel guilty saying it's a loss or a miscarriage although I think that is the technical term for losing a twin at nearly 9 weeks. If that would have been the only baby it most certainly would have been. I'm sure of it. I'm at a loss to call it a loss. Too emotional maybe?
How could I call it a loss when I have so much? After eight years of waiting, we are going to have a baby. How could that possibly compare to parents who abruptly lost that one thing they thought they were going to have to bring them so much joy? Why should I receive even an ounce of sympathy when having a baby is still ahead of me?
But, by doing so am I adding to the notion that it will just vanish?
Perhaps I could just think that when this baby was conceived he/she asked for a bodyguard, someone to be on the lookout and make sure everything's on the up and up. Now that things are as they should the bodyguard is free to leave? No, doesn't seem right either.
I give up. I don't know what to call this experience.
Or maybe I do. I guess it's in the title I wrote at the start of the blog post. The "Absence of Heart; Growth of Others". I think this is true for many reasons. I lost a little piece of my heart when I learned the reality one baby was gone. The baby's heart is now absent. However, the other baby is growing and doing well. And our hearts (all three of us) are growing despite the bandage over the missing pieces.
And that I'm okay with. I'm a momma bird who lost an egg in the nest, but still a momma with a job to do just the same.


I am so sorry. I can't even imagine what it must feel like to have lost one of the twins, but I do know what it feels like to have a miscarriage. And it sucks. I do hope that the fact that one baby is growing normally helps you to feel a little bit better about the whole thing. I like your mother bird analogy.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry, Liv. I was so hoping for you all.
ReplyDeleteThis whole post was just...I can't come up with the right words. Please know that it touched me. You truly are a beautiful woman.
You continue to amaze and inspire me. Miscarriages suck and I'm sorry this has happened to you and Marvy. But I love that you are a "momma bird" and you have been showing us all your momma bird for sometime now.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry Liv! And yes, you are allowed to feel this loss... you loved baby b as much as baby a, and 8 or 9 weeks of existance is still worth remembering and celebrating. *hugs & prayers*
ReplyDeleteLiv, I'm sorry. It's a tough adjustment, to go from planning for raising multiples to planning for one little bird--an adjustment I know all too well. My heart is with you all as you grieve the loss of your frijole's twin, though of course I'm DELIGHTED that your frijole A continues to thrive. ((Hugs))
ReplyDeletei'm so sorry. i don't know what else to say other than i am thinking of you :)
ReplyDeleteDear Liv and Marv, it is so difficult to take the time to mourn the loss of your potential child;sometimes we don't feel that we are entitled to mourn that loss if we still have a healthy fetus. Of course you are.
ReplyDeleteYou are both in my thoughts and prayers.
I am so sad and so excited for you at the same time. It is so hard to make sense of those warring feelings when there is so much validity to both the happiness and the sadness. None of us will forget that little one but we will be ready to celebrate every milestone the other baby reaches.
ReplyDeleteI think you are perfectly justified to feel a sense of sadness. This was part of you and your husband and a sense of loss is appropriate. The exciting part is that you have a wonderfully healthy baby...and you two are going to be fabulous parents. Congrats on the graduation to the OB. You are no longer an IF patient...now you are just a patient!
ReplyDeleteLIV - I never heard from you yesterday but glad you posted so I could read this. I am sorry that baby B did not make it but I like how you said it. You still have one baby on its way and a job you must do...but we will never forget! So happy for baby A thought!!!! DID you see him/her again?
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Liv - I just wanted to say that you did a beautiful job of putting into words the way you are feeling. I don't think there is a "category" or adequate "term" to describe the loss you are going through.
ReplyDeleteJust know that acknowledging it and the feelings that go with it is absolutely the right thing to do!
Sending you thoughts and prayers - both in support and joy!
No matter what you call it, I'm sending you a virtual hug. (((((((((())))))))))
ReplyDeleteI don't see the world as divided into stark black and white. There are shades of gray. We can still have joy for frijoleA and wish you all the best in the future while giving you a hug for the sorrow at saying goodbye to frijoleB.
ReplyDeleteSweet Liv-Please don't discount your grief. Your little one deserves to be acknowledged and considered as his own individual miraculous self. You can be sad, it's OK to cry and get extra hugs and snuggles from the wonderful Marvy. Perhaps you can choose to see this little one, who needed (for whatever reason) to stay with Mommy, carried in your heart forever.
Oh now it's working! Ignore my text.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry, sweetie. I'm crying for you and sending you so much love. I'm holding all four of you close to my heart. I wish for baby A to realize how lucky he/she is to have a sibling or body guard and parents like you two.
*HUGS*
I'm so sorry for your loss. And can I just say, I hate the term "vanishing twin"? It makes the whole thing seem so "Poof! No big deal!"
ReplyDeleteSending all kinds of growing and thriving thoughts your way.
Dear Liv, I don't care what the doctors label it....but I would grieve with you for the Baby B...but would like you to focus also on what is so wanting to be with your...Baby A....even though the -ies is gone....the -y is there....There are no apt words I can drum up right now....but I am praying for a lot of positive energy for you!
ReplyDeleteSame thing happened to me--and I, too, was struck by a similar wave of very mixed emotions. Just knowing I could feel all the contradictory and confusing things helped a bit...
ReplyDeleteI hope the rest of your pregnancy is smooth sailing.
I'm so sorry Liv. This is a loss. It doesn't matter whether you are still pregnant or not, you get to mourn this loss.
ReplyDeleteOh Liv, I'm so sorry. I have been way behind on what's been happening with you since you got your bfp.
ReplyDeleteKnow that's it's perfectly alright to feel however you feel, even if it's confusion. You will remember your little bird's presence and sometimes that's all that matters.
Sending you and your family all my best thoughts. (((HUGS)))
I'm sorry! It's still a loss, even if you are at a loss for words as what to call it.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry, Liv.
ReplyDeleteAll the best to you, Marvy, and your little one.
I'm so sorry Liv. The fact that you are still growing a miracle inside you doesn't take away from the fact that you also lost one, a loss is a loss and you have a right to grieve that like anyone else would and your pain is no less just because you WILL end up with THE prize at the end.
ReplyDeletexxxx
Oh sweetie, I am so very sorry. It is very much a loss. Grieve in the way that feels right to you. I'll be thinking about you.
ReplyDeletexoxo
I am so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry Liv- it is a loss. How difficult to have such happiness tampered with sadness. It must be difficult to sort out your feelings- but I'm praying for you and wish you and the little bean a strong and healthy pregnancy.
ReplyDeleteI'm so very sorry. I can't imagine the torrent of feelings you must be going through.
ReplyDeleteI am so very sorry for your loss. As you know, I understand it all too well. I am here for you if you need anything. Baby A is so lucky to have such wonderful parents.
ReplyDeleteSending you lots of hugs!
I just have to say...you guys? Are amazing. Just...amazing. I don't think there is anyone I could have spent hours on a ridiculously hot afternoon talking and laughing with and not notice the time passing. You will be fantastic parents, of this I am certain! Many hugs and well wishes, and yes, I am hitting the RSS Subscribe!
ReplyDelete-TSM
Liv you have to email me! I have a gift for you that you will looooove. Laddy_bug03@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry that it turned out this way. Best of luck as you continue this journey and I'm thinking good thoughts for you.
ReplyDeleteI am so late in offering my congratulations--you so deserve this happiness! Im so sorry about the loss of Baby B...And I second all the sentiments of you all being wonderful parents-there is no doubt about that!
ReplyDeleteHey!
ReplyDeleteI've just nominated you for an award, go check it out!
http://unproductivelyso.blogspot.com/2009/08/awards.html
Rach
xxxx
Hi my dearest Liv!!!!! A your blog-absence guilt is the same that I share as well! I'm so sorry that I've not connected with you sooner. I'm also deeply sorry about your lost little twin. It IS a loss, and as one dealing with secondary infertility, I can assure I know the complex feelings of greiving one loss while guilting oneself for not enjoying the miracle of the one you have.
ReplyDeleteI hope this finds you well. I'm so INSANELY thrilled for you and Marvy.
Hey, where are you??? I miss your updates!!
ReplyDeleteGo check my blog, I gave you an award: http://elanasmusings.blogspot.com/2009/08/one-lovely-blog-award.html
I second Eve/Infertility Rocks... Just as I mourned when I had a miscarriage this past January, despite already having a 4 year old daughter, you ARE entitled to mourn the loss of your little one. Baby B's loss is real and you are allowed to be saddened by it!
ReplyDeleteWith that being said, hugs and congrats to you and your sweet DH as you continue to plan and prepare for Baby A.
Just stopped by to see how you're doing. I hope everything is going well for you! :)
ReplyDeleteJust checking in to see how you are. I was thinking about you.
ReplyDeleteHoping you are well, and Mr. Marvelous too... I miss reading about you!
ReplyDelete