
Do you find yourself wandering the streets of blogland and not knowing where to start? If all of this is foreign to you, yet you happen upon my blog, then I would like to share my story.
Once upon a time, I googled "Pregnancy Envy". It led me to my first infertility blog. The blog had already been abandoned, but I read the whole bloomin' thing. It was so funny and smart. I wished I could have had an ounce of her talent. I thought how great this person was at capturing my attention, making me laugh out loud, cry with her while sad and overly joyus while happy. It felt a bit wrong that I wasn't invited to read such intimate details of her life. But, it helped me learn more about what I was about to go through in my own. I watched as her blog progressed 1, 2, 5, 10 blogs in and she had all of these commenters! "How did she do that! Where did all of these people come from?" I wondered.
I'll never forget how I laughed out loud when I boldly decided to read other blogs on her blogroll and then subsequently found the title of "Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters". I thought someone had a very funny sense of humor in regards to the whole infertility thing. Dare I click on it? Clicking on someone else's blog still seemed like a bit of an invasion of privacy. Instead I clicked the blogs of others, searching for someone who would be like me. Lost. I found new ones to read, but do I leave a comment? No, certainly not - they don't know me!
I decided to go ahead and blog about my situation if nothing else than to provide myself a way of documenting the story. Eventually I reached out to Mel's Stirrup Queens site and this was my baby step into joining this community. And I am so glad I did. Thanks to Mel, I have found a home.
If this is where you find yourself in your journey, let me take a moment to share just how wonderful participating in this community can be. After submitting my blog name to the wonderful Mel - THE Stirrup Queen - Lollipop Goldstein, I just hoped that maybe one or two other people would find me and leave a comment or two.
I never anticipated what would start out as just receiving and returning comments would eventually turn in to wonderful friendships. I love my blogger friends.
I have a beautiful blogger friend who contacted me no less than 8 times with various emails and comments during a tough weekend to check on me to make sure I wasn't a mess! She's super supportive, sweet and kind. She pledges to always be there for me. It never fails when I try to comment on someone and I have a hard time thinking of what to say, sure enough she will have already been there with far better words than I, but it inspires me to do better.
I have another one whom I think about almost everyday because we typically are on the exact same cycle, so her good days are my good days and as it always seems to turn out, my bad days are her bad days. Each cycle starts with the hopes, the dreams and then all the unfortunate stuff in between until the new cycle begins. The bad days suck but I think about her and I'll say a little prayer that her bad day is better than mine.
I have another blogger friend whom I love for many reasons but what drew us together was our common birthday. But it's crazy how much more we have in common. (If ONLY I could steal her cooking/baking/knitting abilities!) Get this, she even has freckles just like me! One day we plan on getting together for a happy hour, however the plan is that we'll stick to sprite meanwhile the guys drink up because we'll be pregnant. Alcohol or no alcohol any chance I have to meet with her will most definitely be a happy hour.
Then I have a BBF, (Best Blogger Friend!) whom I couldn't live without. She actually marks the beginning of my infertility journey as my very first commenter of the wonderful world of the internets. With motherhood as a common goal, we have bonded and shared the heartache of the unfulfilled goal. We could probably write a book with simply the email correspondence alone. I have never in all my life met someone who cares about so much of the little things in my life. She picks up on things that most people would have never have commented on, and that makes me feel pretty darn good.
Although there are many others, the last one I'll speak to is truly a breath of fresh air. Infertility has brought such depression into my life that it seemed impossible to overcome. One of my blogger friends not only makes me laugh with her amazing sense of humor but, has even made me cry with her thoughfulness. Here is an example of what I'm talking about. Yeah, I know it rocks!
This is merely scratching the surface.
If you are fairly new to the world of infertility or blogging in this community and you find yourself lost and feeling alone, come on in. Pull up a chair, strike up a conversation. Don't just walk down the street alone. Do you see all these homes with lights on? Walk up to the door and knock. Introduce yourself. Share your needs. Be bold in following others. Give back to those who have offered you a place to rest and feel restored. Offer up a hug in the form of a comment. The hardest part is walking through that front door. Share a piece of you and you will be surprised at how it doubles in return.
Once upon a time, I googled "Pregnancy Envy". It led me to my first infertility blog. The blog had already been abandoned, but I read the whole bloomin' thing. It was so funny and smart. I wished I could have had an ounce of her talent. I thought how great this person was at capturing my attention, making me laugh out loud, cry with her while sad and overly joyus while happy. It felt a bit wrong that I wasn't invited to read such intimate details of her life. But, it helped me learn more about what I was about to go through in my own. I watched as her blog progressed 1, 2, 5, 10 blogs in and she had all of these commenters! "How did she do that! Where did all of these people come from?" I wondered.
I'll never forget how I laughed out loud when I boldly decided to read other blogs on her blogroll and then subsequently found the title of "Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters". I thought someone had a very funny sense of humor in regards to the whole infertility thing. Dare I click on it? Clicking on someone else's blog still seemed like a bit of an invasion of privacy. Instead I clicked the blogs of others, searching for someone who would be like me. Lost. I found new ones to read, but do I leave a comment? No, certainly not - they don't know me!
I decided to go ahead and blog about my situation if nothing else than to provide myself a way of documenting the story. Eventually I reached out to Mel's Stirrup Queens site and this was my baby step into joining this community. And I am so glad I did. Thanks to Mel, I have found a home.
If this is where you find yourself in your journey, let me take a moment to share just how wonderful participating in this community can be. After submitting my blog name to the wonderful Mel - THE Stirrup Queen - Lollipop Goldstein, I just hoped that maybe one or two other people would find me and leave a comment or two.
I never anticipated what would start out as just receiving and returning comments would eventually turn in to wonderful friendships. I love my blogger friends.
I have a beautiful blogger friend who contacted me no less than 8 times with various emails and comments during a tough weekend to check on me to make sure I wasn't a mess! She's super supportive, sweet and kind. She pledges to always be there for me. It never fails when I try to comment on someone and I have a hard time thinking of what to say, sure enough she will have already been there with far better words than I, but it inspires me to do better.
I have another one whom I think about almost everyday because we typically are on the exact same cycle, so her good days are my good days and as it always seems to turn out, my bad days are her bad days. Each cycle starts with the hopes, the dreams and then all the unfortunate stuff in between until the new cycle begins. The bad days suck but I think about her and I'll say a little prayer that her bad day is better than mine.
I have another blogger friend whom I love for many reasons but what drew us together was our common birthday. But it's crazy how much more we have in common. (If ONLY I could steal her cooking/baking/knitting abilities!) Get this, she even has freckles just like me! One day we plan on getting together for a happy hour, however the plan is that we'll stick to sprite meanwhile the guys drink up because we'll be pregnant. Alcohol or no alcohol any chance I have to meet with her will most definitely be a happy hour.
Then I have a BBF, (Best Blogger Friend!) whom I couldn't live without. She actually marks the beginning of my infertility journey as my very first commenter of the wonderful world of the internets. With motherhood as a common goal, we have bonded and shared the heartache of the unfulfilled goal. We could probably write a book with simply the email correspondence alone. I have never in all my life met someone who cares about so much of the little things in my life. She picks up on things that most people would have never have commented on, and that makes me feel pretty darn good.
Although there are many others, the last one I'll speak to is truly a breath of fresh air. Infertility has brought such depression into my life that it seemed impossible to overcome. One of my blogger friends not only makes me laugh with her amazing sense of humor but, has even made me cry with her thoughfulness. Here is an example of what I'm talking about. Yeah, I know it rocks!
This is merely scratching the surface.
If you are fairly new to the world of infertility or blogging in this community and you find yourself lost and feeling alone, come on in. Pull up a chair, strike up a conversation. Don't just walk down the street alone. Do you see all these homes with lights on? Walk up to the door and knock. Introduce yourself. Share your needs. Be bold in following others. Give back to those who have offered you a place to rest and feel restored. Offer up a hug in the form of a comment. The hardest part is walking through that front door. Share a piece of you and you will be surprised at how it doubles in return.


A beautiful example of how awesome our community is! I agree...welcome new bloggers...pleae join us!
ReplyDeleteYES! All bloggers, please stop by and say HI to any one of us. There is NO way we will turn you away. We love everyone, we're a sappy bunch.
ReplyDeleteLiv, I felt "weird" about reading someone's blog, as well. I thought it was so private and who was I to read her words. it seemed so wrong, but at the same time, I wanted to say SOMETHING. I love you Liv and I truly mean that. You are an amazing woman and i can't even remember what I did without you in my life!
*HUGS*
I felt weird about reading blogs at first too, diving into peoples personal journeys. I don't have a huge following, but I hope what I am writing can help someone on their journey!
ReplyDeleteGreat blog Liv!
Aww my Lovely Liv! What a great post :) I didn't know you had freckles too!
ReplyDeleteLIV -
ReplyDeleteWorth the wait - that was awesome! And thanks for the wonderful comments!
Love you too!!! Oh and I am sure Ill talk to you today! :-)
in a way i have felt like an outsider my whole life. i have always been surrounded by a big family and close friends, but i have always felt a little unsure and alone. when i entered the world of infertility that feeling overtook me. this post reminds me that i am not alone. your story is my story. reading comments and other people's stories makes me feel connected and a little less unsure. so, thanks for the comments on my blog and for writing your own.
ReplyDeletefrom another freckle faced girl
I have been following your blog and decided it was time to come out of hiding. This was a great post and it was the exact thing that happened to me. I felt so much better when I found the world of blogging. I don't have a blog yet but this will inspire me to join.
ReplyDeletethanks for giving me the nudge.
Hi, I am only new to the blogging world, this is the first time I have read your blog and I felt like you were talking directly to me! Seriously I had to check the date of your post as it felt so wierd, just reading the title and first sentence I felt like you could see me stumbling around Blogland!!I too stumbled onto someone's blog and felt strange reading all their personal information, but then I began reading others until I decided I should start my own as a journal type of thing...Thankyou for opening the front door :)
ReplyDeleteI love this post! What a lovely tribute to so many other bloggers :) You are so sweet!
ReplyDeleteI had to post on your 'real' blog here and say that I'm so grateful to have crossed your path out here in blogland. What would we do without blogland anyway? I shudder to think.
ReplyDeleteI hate that we are both going through this but I am glad that we have eachother. I cant wait until we can both have 9 months of bliss and beyond!
ReplyDeleteWell said, Liv! I am trying to get better about commenting because I really enjoy blog land but rarely leave my mark. I know how great I feel when I get comments, so I need to step up the reciprocal support!
ReplyDeleteLive-
ReplyDeleteI left you a present at my blog.
Liv- Not LIVE:)
ReplyDeleteLiv - SO refreshing! Couldn't have said it better myself! This community of support and understanding is overwhelming. Thanks for making us newbies feel right at home! Also, thanks for your sweet comment, they're much needed and appreciated! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful gesture--a lovely award for a lovely person! I'm relatively new to this sphere of blogging, and yours is definitely one of the voices that jumped out at me from the start with your fresh honesty and kindness. Thanks for welcoming the newer among us and for making this community such a rewarding place to reside.
ReplyDeleteHi there! I just clicked over from TTC Fun where we were both on her Sisterhood Award list.
ReplyDeleteI am very new to IF blogging...I stalked several IF blogs before I started my own. It's hard at first because you pour your heart out and only see 1-2 comments (and I cherish those comments b/c they tell me that someone cares about my situation). Slowly some great blog buddies have started to make me feel welcomed and I'm not giving up!
I am so glad to have stumbled upon your blog and look forward to reading more!
This was the perfect blog post and I hope anyone newly diagnosed finds it. Because it is so true. I was so alone a few years ago and once I found this community it opened up this whole sense of peace to be amongst those who just get it. We are all so different and everyone brings a different dish to the welcome table. But, damn, what a feast.
ReplyDeleteDitto.
ReplyDeleteI googled a book I was reading, "Waiting for Daisy," and landed on SQ. The rest, as they say, is blog history.
I am so much richer for this community!
You said it perfectly!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely post. Blogging has helped me not give in to the horrible depression of infertility.
ReplyDeleteI'm fairly new to the blogging community and this post really describes how I feel when I'm checking out new blogs. I've always been one to just sit in the background and let others carry the conversation but after reading this I really want to make the effort to get involved and feel like I belong :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful post! My voyage into the infertility blogosphere started when I found the incomparable Grrl of Chez Miscarriage. I still miss reading her blog.
ReplyDeleteHere from Lost & Found. I too lurked for a long time on various blogs before jumping in with my own, & it's been a blast. You summarized the experience perfectly!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this post - this is exactly the way I started, getting my feet wet with one blog and following the links to more and more. This community is so generous and caring and I feel very well taken care of by all my bloggy friends.
ReplyDeleteWhen I started blogging it really made me realize I "belonged" somewhere because not many of my IRL friends could relate. I went one blog at a time and have formed very nice friendships this way. I'm now PWP to respect the privacy of my family, but still very linked into the community!
ReplyDeleteYour story into the blog world sounds a lot like mine - only at the time it wasn't venturing out into the world of infertility - mine started as a journey through weight loss surgery... which has now led me to the infertility journey.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely post. I'm so glad to have virtually *met* you. Maybe someday we'll meet for reals.
ReplyDelete